Marichyasana (Marichis’s Pose or Sage pose): Steps, benefits, and precautions
Marichyasana is a forward slant that is performed as a part of the Ashtanga yoga series of asanas. Also known as Rishi Mudra or Marichi’s Mudra in English, this asana is dedicated to the ancient Indian sage Marichi, son of Brahma.
The Sanskrit name means ‘ray of light’ and true to its meaning, this asana focuses on the all-round well-being of a person, including the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of his life.
Let us know the steps to practice Marichis’s Pose or Sage pose and its various benefits.
1)- Marichyasana (Marichi’s Pose) steps: The right way to do practice Marichis’s Pose or Sage pose
2)- Benefits of Marichyasana (Marichi’s Pose)
3)- Precautions to take while practicing Marichyasana (Marichi’s Pose)
Marichyasana (Marichi’s Pose) steps: The right way to do practice Marichi’s Pose
Below the correct way to practice step by step guide to Marichis’s Pose:
1)- Firstly, sit in Dandasana (legs stretched forward with back straight). Put your palms on the ground and breathe slowly.
2)- Inhale and fold your right knee towards your chest. The leg of your right foot should be flat on the ground, touching your right hip. Bend your left foot slightly inward, rest your left heel firmly on the ground and push the big toe of your left foot away from your body. This will help adjust your overall posture.
3)- Exhale and turn your upper body a bit to the left side.
4)- Bend your upper body forward so that your right shoulder presses inward to your right knee.
5)- Now bend your right hand and wrap it over your right leg and spine. Then bend your left hand so that it touches the right side. Try to hold your hands together on your back.
6)- Maintain the asana for about 30-60 seconds. Exhale slowly and exhale.
7)- Now get out of the pose slowly by freeing your hands and straightening your back.
8)- After exiting the posture, straighten your right leg and return to the state of Dandasana.
9)- Repeat the same asana on the left side.
Benefits of Marichyasana (Marichi’s Pose)
Marichyasana can have some incredible benefits such as:
- It also stimulates the abdominal organs such as the liver and kidney.
- It calms and relaxes your mind and body.
- This asana relieves fatigue when done regularly.
- Marichyasana is said to be beneficial for relieving menstrual cramps
- Marichyasana helps to stretch your spine and shoulders.
- It is highly effective in reducing sciatica pain.
Precautions to take while practicing Marichyasana (Marichi’s Pose)
Before practicing Marichyasana, you should take the following precautions:
- Do not practice Marichyasana, if you have a shoulder injury.
- Do not try to force your body while doing Marichyasana. Maintain your comfort and let your body ease into it with time.
- If you have lower back issues, do not practice this asana.
- People who have asthma or diarrhea should not do this asana.
Legal Disclaimer: Before participating in any exercise program or using any fitness products or services that may be described and/or made accessible in or through the Nexoye Website and/or the Services, you should consult with a physician or other healthcare provider.