Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend): Steps, benefits, and precautions.
Uttanasana or Standing Forward Bend Pose derives its name from the two Sanskrit words uttana meaning deep stretch and asana meaning posture. Although it may take some time, it is considered an excellent asana for your back and hamstrings.
This article discusses the right way to do Uttanasana. It also tells about the benefits of Uttanasana and the precautions you should take during its practice.
Let us know the steps to practice Standing Forward Bend and its various benefits.
1)- Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend Pose) steps: The right way to do Standing Forward Bend
2)- Benefits of Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend Pose)
3)- Precautions of Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend Pose)
Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend Pose) steps: The right way to do Standing Forward Bend Pose
To practice Standing Forward Bend Pose in the right way, follow the steps given below:
1)- Firstly, Stand upright in a straight posture (Tada asana), rest your arms on both sides of your thighs.
2)- While exhaling, bend forward with the help of your hip bones. Do not bend your knees. Like all the other bending forward asanas, Uttanasana is also all about stretching of your upper body.
3)- If you are flexible enough to touch your toes or try to do it on the floor, but if you are not, do not try it as it may injure your hamstring. Instead, you can bend your forearms and try to touch your elbows with your opposite palms. This is a simple adaptation of Uttanasana known as elbow grab.
4)- Do not hold your breath while doing asanas.
5)- While breathing, slowly move your body upwards. While exhaling, again deepen your body as much as you can bend downwards.
6)- Take a deep breath 5-6 times so that you can hold your posture for at least 30-60 seconds.
7)- You can increase your time when you feel flexible enough to do asanas.
8)- Do not hold the posture for more than 90 seconds at a time.
9)- Let your head bend with your body so that you don’t hurt the muscles of your neck.
10)- Remember to inhale as you go upward. Do not bend your spine and move upward using only your hipbone.
Benefits of Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend Pose)
There are various benefits of practicing Standing Forward Bend Pose Contains:
- It is helpful in reducing the severity of symptoms of depression in its early stage.
- It helps in managing the symptoms of menopause.
- It reduces stress and calms your mind thus increasing focus and concentration.
- It stretches your hamstring, calf and hip muscles and strengthens your thighs and knees.
- It reduces fatigue and stress and reduces persistent headaches and insomnia.
- When done regularly, this asana improves the functions of the heart and kidneys.
- Uttanasana also improves digestion.
- The regular practice of Uttanasana reduces the risk of asthma, high B.P, infertility, osteoporosis, and sinusitis.
Precautions of Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend Pose)
- Do not force yourself to do this asana.
- If you experience a backache, stop posture and consult a doctor.
- If you have a backache, spine injury, ankle pain, heart problem, or abdominal hernia it does not try, instead, you can practice its type; Ardha-Uttanasana.
Legal Disclaimer: Before participating in any exercise program or using any fitness products or services that may be described and/or made accessible in or through the Nexoye Website and/or the Services, you should consult with a physician or other healthcare provider.